The National EPA Implementation Unit has oversight responsibility for the implementation of the CARIFORUM-EU Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) which was signed by Belize in 2008 and ratified in 2011. The Unit also monitors trade in the European Market.
Core functions of the National EPA Implementation Unit include:
- Communicating and disseminating the provisions of the Agreement
- Providing support and guidance for line ministries with implementation of the Agreement
- Reviewing existing policies, legislation and regulations for consistency with EPA obligations
- Assisting the public and private sector to develop capacity to optimize the benefits of the EPA
- Providing advice to the Government of Belize on EPA implementation at the national and regional level
- Identifying constraints impacting the private sector entry into the EU market and mobilizing resources improve product quality and standards